Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Not Quite Enough

The Essence of all advertising is You are Not Quite Enough if you do not have what we are Selling.

As the New Year has rolled over, Missy and I are beginning to focus on that subject that is so difficult at times but is so intertwined in every aspect of our lives: MONEY MANAGEMENT

This year I am trying to not just look at the symptoms:  Impulse Purchases, Those little everyday purchases that compound over time, or just the lack of managing the money that I earn.  This year I am trying to get to the bottom of it.  I am trying to answer the questions:  Why does my spending not reflect my values?  and Why do I buy things that I don't need, don't want or just for all of the wrong reasons?

Part of what I have discovered is that it is not just money.  It is a spiritual issue.

As I walk into a store like The Buckle, the air is filled with a great scent.  That scent of some new cologne draws you deeper into the store.  On the shelves are layers of jeans, leather shoes, and shirts of all different styles and colors.  Some young salesperson walks over in his or her fancy clothes from head to toe, jewelry and a bright smile.  Basically, the whole message that they are trying to give me is:  If you want to be cool or feel good, you need to buy these jeans for 109.99.  If you want to really be cool, you can buy those jeans for 109.99 and add a shirt to go with them for 65.99.

I am not saying a word against stores like The Buckle.  I really like the store and love the way the jeans fit.  The problem happens when I am making purchases because I don't feel good enough with what I have or what I am.  As the advertising industry spends millions and millions of dollars pushing this one message, it is quite clear that it has an effect on most of us.

My focus this year is on CONTENTMENT.  With Jesus, I am enough.  In him is my fulfillment.  There is nothing else in this world that I really need.  Therefore, I can walk through these advertising messages knowing that I don't really need this product to be fulfilled. I have enough when I begin with Jesus.

If I can find this contentment, I think I am well on my way to finding the victories over money management that I am seeking.

*If  you read this  Danny, sorry, but I had to steal the idea from our conversation on Monday evening.  LOL..

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad when you post it makes my day !!! thank you

    ReplyDelete